Honea Path Fire Department
200 North Shirley Avenue
Honea Path, South Carolina 29654.
Emergency dial 911
visit our fire department web site
Visit the Honea Path Fire Department
The Honea Path fire department was organized in 1916 under chief
A.W. Stepp. Today the fire dept can boast of being one of the
oldest service organizations in the town of Honea Path. Prior to
the organization of the volunteer force, citizens in the town
were protected from the menace of fire by volunteers summoned by
the town fire bell and the old mill whistle at chiquola mill.
After the town grew, it became evident that such protection was
not adequate, therefor a t-model truck was bought and a home
made hose cart was constructed. This improvement in equipment
sparked the formation of the first regular volunteer fire
department. In 1928, a new chevrolet truck was purchased, and
another home made hose cart was constructed by taking by taking
the hose bed from the T-model Ford and placing this bed on the
new chevrolet truck. Shortly after this, a front mount pump was
placed on the new truck, which enabled the fire dept for the
first time to boost the water pressure coming from the fire
hydrants. The old town bell was replaced by a new electric siren
in the early 1930's, which gave the firemen an ultra modern
alert system for those times. The year 1942 was really big in
that for the first time, a commercially built fire pumper was
delivered to the town. This new truck was equipped with a 250
gallon booster tank and a 500 gallon per minute pump. The fire
dept used this truck on a first line basis until a new pumper
built by the American LaFrance company was delivered in 1959.
Another change that took place in the late forties was that F.A.
Walker became chief of the fire dept. Chief Walker served in
this position until 1969, at which time R.Ray cox was promoted
from asst chief to chief. In 1973, the siren alarm system was
replaced by a monitor alarm system in which each fireman had a
radio monitor in his home and is activated by a base station at
the fire station.